JOMO stands for the ‘Joy of Missing Out’ and is obviously the opposite of FOMO, or the ‘Fear of Missing Out’.
Think about the following questions:
- What would happen if you turned off your mobile phone for 24 hours?
- What would happen if you wiped all social media from your devices for a week?
- What would happen if you disconnected from all technology for the first few days of the next school holidays?
- What would happen if you said no to the next party and instead stayed in with your family, order takeaway and watched your favourite movie with each other?
I have included the answers below:
- Nothing, except for the fact that you would be present and connected with the ones who love you the most on the entire planet.
Do not be afraid to experiment with and ultimately enjoy the benefits associated with JOMO. Encourage others to practice JOMO. Promote JOMO. Do not feel guilty when practising JOMO. By saying ‘yes’ to others we can quite often be unconsciously saying ‘no’ to ourselves. It is more than okay to be selfish occasionally if it benefits your wellbeing.
Mitch Allan, Year 9 Coordinator, Wellbeing